According to the American College of Allergy, Asthma, and Immunology (ACAAI), high pollen counts can be a real nuisance for allergy sufferers. Pollen is an airborne allergen that is released from plants, trees, and weeds during certain times of the year. This exposure can lead to numerous symptoms such as sneezing, coughing, and itchy, watery eyes.
Fortunately, there are several methods to combat the effects of high pollen counts and help you live your life with minimal discomfort. So, here are some tips to help you survive high pollen counts:
- Avoid Outdoor Activities – The best way to combat the effects of high pollen counts is by avoiding outdoor activities when possible. This means limiting your exposure to the allergen as much as possible. If you do need to go outside, try visiting areas that have a lower pollen count than your area.
- Take Allergy Medications – Taking allergy medications is another way to combat the effects of high pollen counts. There are various types of medication available including antihistamines, decongestants, and nasal sprays that can help reduce your symptoms and make living with allergies more bearable. Be sure to talk to your doctor before taking any medication.
- Use Air Filters – Using air filters that are specifically designed for allergies can also help protect you from high pollen counts. These filters will trap the allergens in the air and help reduce your symptoms. It is important to replace these filters regularly to ensure they are doing their job. You should also vacuum regularly to remove the allergens that can accumulate in your home.
- Natural Palliatives – Some natural remedies can help alleviate the symptoms caused by high pollen counts. Eating local honey or taking a teaspoon of it daily has been known to reduce seasonal allergies over time, while diffusing essential oils like eucalyptus, lavender, and peppermint has been known to ease breathing problems.
These are just some of the methods you can use to survive high pollen counts. Remember, it is important to talk to your doctor before taking any medication or trying any natural remedies as they may interact with current medications or worsen existing conditions.
Preparing Your Home and Garden for the High Pollen Season
High pollen counts can make life difficult for allergy sufferers. Thankfully, with a few simple steps, you can prepare your home and garden to combat the effects of high pollen season. Here are some tips:
- Clean Your Home Regularly – Keeping your home clean is essential when it comes to managing allergy season. Dust and vacuum regularly and make sure air filters are changed frequently.
- Maintain Your Garden – For those with outdoor allergies, maintaining your garden can help reduce the amount of allergens in the environment. Make sure you mow your lawn regularly and keep weeds under control by frequently pulling them from their roots. Additionally, try planting flowers and trees that have low pollen counts.
- Wear Appropriate Clothing – It is also important to wear clothing that covers your arms, legs, and head when outside. This will help protect you from allergens that may be in the environment. Additionally, make sure to take a shower after spending time outdoors as this will help remove any pollen from your skin and clothing.
By following these simple steps, you can prepare your home and garden for high pollen season. This can help keep your symptoms under control and make living with allergies more bearable.
High pollen counts can be a real nuisance for allergy sufferers, but there are several methods to combat the effects of high pollen counts. With proper preparation and understanding of how to survive high pollen counts, you can make living with allergies more bearable. Be sure to talk to your doctor before taking any medication or trying any natural remedies as they may interact with current medications or worsen existing conditions.