A stainless-steel pressure cooker has been a staple in the kitchen for many years, and why not? It is so versatile and efficient that it is a go-to cookware when you are in a hurry. Plus, it helps to retain the flavors and nutrients of the food cooked in it, making it a healthy option. Made from durable, rust-resistant, and non-reactive stainless steel, it is a valuable cookware that one must and should have. Here’s everything you need to know about stainless steel cookers.
How Does a Stainless-Steel Cooker Work?
A stainless-steel pressure cooker works when the liquid inside the pot creates steam due to the sealed environment. When the pot heats up, the liquid begins to boil and creates steam. As the steam builds, the temperature and pressure increase, thereby cooking food quicker than traditional methods. The steel pot is made sturdy so that it can withstand the temperature and pressure inside. The rubber ring (gasket) of the cooker lid is an important component as it tightly seals the lid to prevent steam from getting out. Also, pressure cookers have pressure-release valves to regulate pressure. The liquid inside the cooker to produce steam can be water or any cooking liquid. The sealed environment is the reason the flavors and nutrients of the food are retained.
Advantages of Using a Stainless-Steel Pressure Cooker
There are several advantages to using a stainless-steel pressure cooker. Some of them are:
- Faster cooking time: A stainless steel pressure cooker cooks up to 70% faster than conventional methods. The high temperature and pressure cook even the hard-to-cook items quickly, making them flavorful and tender in no time.
- Versatile: It can cook a variety of foods, including rice, vegetables, meat, grains, etc. This makes it a handy tool to have to make healthy and quick meals easily.
- Energy efficient: It uses less energy as it gets heated up quickly and assures even distribution of heat, helping save on energy bills.
- Retains flavor and nutrients: Due to the sealed environment, pressure cookers retain the flavors and nutrients of food compared to traditional cooking.
- Easy to clean: Stainless-steel pressure cookers are easy to maintain and clean. They can retain luster and shine if cared for properly. It can also be loaded into a dishwasher.
Features to Look for When Purchasing a Stainless-Steel Pressure Cooker
- Size: Stainless-steel pressure cookers come in many sizes, from small to big, with the small size for a single serving and larger models for bigger families. Choose the size depending on the amount of food to cook and family size.
- Release mechanism: Choose a cooker that has a reliable and safe pressure release mechanism. Cookers come with a valve that lets go of steam when the cooking is done.
- Durability: Choose high-quality stainless steel made with the best manufacturing process that is long-lasting and durable.
- Easy to clean: Pick a pressure cooker that is easy to maintain as well as clean. Some stainless-steel pressure cookers are dishwasher-safe too; make sure you buy those.
- Easy to use: Look for a model of stainless-steel pressure cooker that is easy to use and simple to operate, so that cooking is efficient and quick.
Choose a high-quality stainless-steel cooker that suits your cooking needs and can serve you for decades.